Monday, October 3, 2011

Service? Good? What Am I Buying?

After running quite a few road races in the last couple of years, I began to think about what I was actually 'buying' when forking out cash for a race entry. I wouldn't consider it a service, because I'm the one running. I also don't think it's a good - unless you count the race numbers, timing chips, and awesome tee shirts. Sometimes, there's even a free drink at the end (Run to the Pub and Oktoberfest races).


The more I think about it, I feel like I'm buying an experience. Yes they're providing the opportunity to race against other runners, but I feel more like I've actually purchased something after race is complete. I now not only have the race shirt, but I have the memories of the race and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. According to Maslow, I've just purchased something to fulfill my esteem / self actualization needs.

Photo: From me!

No comments:

Post a Comment