Saturday, October 8, 2011

Ouch That Hurt - I Think I Want Another!



Tattoos and piercings - one of the strangest consumer purchases when you think about it. Not only do they hurt, but they can cause unwanted scarring (piercings), major buyer's remorse, and embarrassment. However, they can also create a sense of pride, self improvement, confidence, self expression.

Ask almost any person who's gotten a tattoo or piercing, and they will tell you that they are addicting. I myself have two tattoos (with plans for more), double ear piercings, and a belly button piercing. When I was reading Fournier's article on the extended self, I began thinking about my tattoos. I see them as a form of self expression and a way of rewarding myself. I got the dragonfly tattoo on my foot for my 21st birthday (I was completely sober by the way) and it was the most painful thing I've ever intentionally done to myself. But, I absolutely love it and I get compliments on it very often. I have also planned to get another tattoo as a personal reward for completing a marathon. I see them as part of myself and I can't imagine not having them.

I find it really interesting that the attitudes about tattoos have changed dramatically from 'only sailors and bikers' have tattoos to now, where house-wives and 50 year old women get them. My grandmother got a tattoo on her 60th birthday and it's adorable. I also read in an article a couple years ago (I can't remember what its called now) that 60% of CEO's or company executives have tattoos but you wouldn't know because they keep them covered. So, maybe that dragon tattoo won't keep you from landing your dream job... unless it's on your face/neck.

Photo: Courtesy of Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment